Saturday, December 19, 2009

Holiness: Psalm 5


Psalm 5: 4,5, and 7~
"You are not a God who takes pleasure in evil; with You the wicked cannot dwell. The arrogant cannot stand in Your Presence; You hate all who do wrong. But I, by Your great mercy, will come into Your house; in reverence will I bow down toward Your holy temple."

1st Lesson:

Verses 4 and 5 tell us pretty blatantly that God cannot have the wicked dwell with Him. Note how it doesn't say "will not" but "cannot." Know the difference?
Will not- you have the ability to do the action, but choose not to.
Cannot- you don't even have the ability to do the action. Impossible.

Good and evil cannot dwell together. There is no gray area- all black and white. Don't ever believe the lie that there is a gray area because this verse contradicts it.

2nd Lesson:

Note how we are able to enter God's house by His great mercy.
Mercy:
A) Compassion shown toward an offender or enemy.
B) The discretionary power of a judge to pardon someone or to lessen the punishment.

God didn't have to allow us into His house, He desired for us to enter. He showed us mercy beyond comprehension. In reverence we bow down toward His holy temple. Verse 7 reminds me of a song written by Addison Road called What Do I Know of Holy? When I listen to this song, I am in awe of God and humbled by His saving Grace and His unconditional Love. Those moments should be (they are for me) precious to us. Don't ever let go or forget those defining moments you have alone with God.

Here's my favorite part of the song:
What do I know of You who spoke me into motion
Where have I even stood but the soil along Your ocean
Are You fire
Are You fury
Are You sacred
Are You beautiful
What do I know of holy
What do I know of wounds that will heal my shame
and a God who brings life its name
Of the One who the angels praise
All creation knows Your name on earth and heaven above
What do I know of this love

No comments:

Post a Comment